Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Peterson


This is Peterson, who is about two or three years old. He is one of the boys at Lifeline who fell in love with Carri. The first couple of days he just wanted to be held and loved on. As time went on he started to have a lot of fun. Carri taught him how to pucker out his lips, and she got this shot of him.

The more I get to know people from other countries and cultures, the more I realize that human nature is the same the world over. I was not surprised that as we were working on the the generator, some of the boys wanted to help. As soon as the tools came out, some of the boys were there watching, and wanting to help. Some of them brought bicycles where were we had the tools out and were adjusting chains and seats so they would work better.

One interesting thing I saw was some of the boys with cell phones. I wondered how they had to money for cell phone service. I found out that they did not have service, they just had them to play games on. They plugged the chargers in when the generator was running to charge the batteries. One evening, one of the boys was listening to a radio that ran on two C batteries. He didn't have any C batteries so he hooked up his cell phone battery to it with a couple of wires. I was impressed with his innovative mind. It was a reminder to me that the only reason we here in the US are able to do more things is we have more opportunity, it is not because we are any smarter.

Check back later for more pictures and stories of our Haiti trip

God bless you all

Phil

No comments: