Monday, January 21, 2008

Photos from Haiti

It is great to be back home after a great trip with a wonderful team. It was such a joy to work with such a good bunch of people. I am putting up just a few pictures of the team and some of the kids. I am trying to get back to normal here at home, although I will never be the same as I was before. Anytime you are exposed in such a personal way to people from such a different part of the world from where you live, it changes how you view life.





This is Carri with a couple of girls that she grew close to. They had a great time working and playing together, even learning a little of each other's language.









Me with a group of kids. Anytime the cameras come out, everyone wants to get in the shot.















Clifford and one of our helpers, working on the Onan generator. I am glad to report that with the Lord's help, we got it running and putting out the correct voltage.










This is Gretchen, a little girl that got very attached to me. The last evening, she was sitting on my lap while most of the kids were dancing the limbo under a rope. They knew it was our last night, and there were a lot of emotions very close to the surface. As I held her, I realized that tears were starting to come out of her eyes. Soon she was sobbing uncontrollably. All I could was to hold her close and try to comfort her. I can't imagine what is like for those kids to grow up with so little affection. It made me realize all over again, the most important thing we did on the whole trip, was just be with the kids.

1 comment:

jason said...

Hey Phil,
Just thought I'd let you know I've been reading your updates. Would love to see more pictures of the kids if you get a chance. Thanks for your service. blessings.