Monday, August 9, 2010

Romania Day 3

Started the day with a great breakfast at the hotel, and then relaxed around the pool for most of the morning. Carri and I went for a walk through the streets of Bucharest. I just love seeing the old buildings in the old part part of Bucharest. I don't know how old they are, but I am quite sure most of them date back to the early 1900's or before.

Roxana took us to a large shopping mall that just opened a year ago. It would fit in well in any city in the USA. There is an ice skating rink and rides for the kids, movie theaters with the same movies currently showing in the US theaters, and more stores than anyone would ever need. There is even a Starbucks.

One thing that really impressed me again is the growth of Romania since the fall of Communism in 1989, but I have to wonder if the young people who don't remember living under Communist rule will realize how precious their freedom is. Someone once said that people living in a free country are only one generation away from slavery to an oppressive government. I can definitely see that coming true in the USA, so many are unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, they want the government to provide for them, but don't realize that the only way the government can give them something is to steal it from someone else.

This evening we went to the home of Florica, one of the persons who helped Jane with our adoption 19 years ago. It was an emotional time for all of us. When I tried to express my gratitude to her for helping us and the way what she did has changed my life as well as Carri's and the rest of our family, I got choked up and had to wipe away tears. It was a special time and I praise God for the work He has done in all of our lives.

Blessings to all who read this.

Phil

No comments: