Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Birthday

Today I turned 55 years old. I have said many times that I wonder when I will feel as old as I thought my Dad was when he was my age. I know that it is all a matter of perspective, but it doesn't seem possible that I have lived 55 years. My oldest son says "you can only be young once, but you can always be immature." Sometimes I think I am trying to prove that true.

None of know how many years the Lord will give us on this earth, so I want to live every day to the fullest. Some days I accomplish that and some I don't, but it is a goal. It is my desire to live every day like it may be the last, and at the same time live like I have at least another 50 years.

I love to visit with older people and learn from their wisdom. Many years ago, I was visiting with a man in his 90's and he was telling about how his son thought he knew so much. He said that his son had knowledge, but he, the Dad had experience. I believe that is the difference between wisdom and knowledge. Wisdom is knowledge, seasoned or combined with experience.

One of my Pastors from many years ago said that the very point where we think we have arrived in our Christian walk is the point where we start to go backwards. That is true in every area of my life. The whole world is changing and moving forward. The world is not static, if I am not learning new things and moving forward, I am going backwards.

No comments: