Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Home from Romania

One final post with details of our vacation in Romania. I will probably have more to say as thoughts come to me later on. We had a wonderful time, but it is also good to be back home in Kansas. I haven't traveled much, but I wouldn't trade the USA for anywhere in the world.

On Saturday, Jane and I visited the Romanian National Art Museum and the National treasures museum. Even though I am not a student of art, it was very interesting to see the collection at the museum. There are several galleries with art from old churches and monasteries, many pieces from the 1500's and 1600's. There are also copies of the Scriptures from that era. It made me realize again the miracle that God's word has been preserved for all these years. There is one wing in the museum for Romanian art, and another for European art. I did see one Rembrandt, and several of the old masters that I have heard of.

The National Treasures museum has a collection of gold, some of which dates back to the 15th century BC. Also some crowns and other pieces from Romanian royalty. I was amazed again at the history we had a chance to view.

Sunday was a day of relaxing most the day, then another meal with Florica's family at her home. What a privilege to spend more time with the family that had such an important part in our adoption process 19 years ago.

Monday it was up at 3:45 am, finish packing everything drive to the airport, then 18 hours of travel time, including waiting between flights. All went smooth until we got to the baggage claim at Wichita Mid Continent. Two of the four bags we checked didn't show up. We picked them up at Chicago and carried them through customs and rechecked them so we knew they were in the US. The lady at the United counter gave us a form to fill out and said they would bring them to our home when they got in, and about 9:30 this morning, they were at our home.

Blessings to all who read this

Phil

No comments: